Gyms and parks are the most probable places to contract infections from others. Nevertheless, a few simple measures are all that takes to keep safe.
Have you ever thought that while you’re visiting a gym to get yourself fit and healthy, you’re actually exposed to the risk of contracting an infection from a fellow gym member? Every single equipment in the gym goes through the hands of several people ranging from few to hundreds (depending on the popularity of the gym) in a day. It’s likely that a few of them might be sick with a n infection as common as common cold.
Several of the infections are air-borne or fomite-borne (transmitted through the usage of infected articles) which are easy to contract in a populated gym. If you’re not careful you’re in for a shock. I’m sure catching a disease from the gym is the last thing you have on your mind. Here are a few measures you could take to avoid a possible chance of contracting an infection.
2. Take a hand sanitizer with you and use it to keep the germs off your hands.
3. Do not share your personal products with anyone, nor use anyone else’s things.
4. Always wear clean clothes to the gym. Change immediately after the gym and wash the gym clothes before you think about reusing them. Also, do not let those dirty clothes in the bag for any longer. The longer they stay unclean, more chances of contamination.
6. Take special care of the feet. Keep the space between toes clean to avoid athlete’s foot and other fungal infections.
— Zigverve.com (@zigverve) October 21, 2015
7. Skip the gym if you’re unwell (infectious or not). Not only you’re risking other people to catch infection from you (if you’ve infection), you’re also risking yourself into catching another infection since your immunity would already be weak due to the sickness.
8. Visit the gym early in the morning. Some of the germs that might have settled on the equipment last night would already be dead. Also, the gym would have been cleaned and thus less chances of contracting any infection. However, only a limited number of users can take benefit of the same.