Personal injuries can be caused by a myriad of things. Millions of people from all over the world suffer from personal injuries every day. They can happen anywhere and anytime. In some cases, personal injuries happen as a result of a victim’s carelessness. But personal injuries, are mostly the result of another person’s negligence.
Most common causes of personal injuries
It’s important to note that a lot of things can cause personal injuries. Depending on the cause of your personal injury, you may actually receive compensation for damages that the injury has brought upon you.
Here are the most common causes of personal injuries that warrant compensation.
- Vehicular accidents. Vehicular accidents are one of the leading causes of personal injuries. In fact, there are more than 31 million people who are reportedly injured each year because of car or other vehicle accidents
- Slip, trip, and fall accidents. Slip, trip, and fall accidents account for more than 8 million people injured every year. These accidents are prevalent because they can happen anywhere and anytime. They can happen in public parks, supermarkets, malls, schools, etc.
- Defective products. Even though the law requires that all products must be safe for use for consumers, there are still defective or dangerous products that manage to come out of manufacturing companies. Every day, thousands of people are injured because of defective products.
- Medical malpractice. Thousands of people every year get injured because of medical malpractice or negligence. Common examples of medical malpractice include delayed diagnosis, surgical errors, and improper administration of prescription drugs.
- Workplace accidents. Workplace accidents, particularly on construction sites, are very common. This is why construction workers are required to wear complete protective gear and observe safety precautions when working on construction sites.
What can you do legally if you suffer a personal injury?
If you have suffered a personal injury caused by another person, you have the right to file a personal injury claim in order to receive compensation for damages incurred by the injury. Compensation for personal injury can include medical expenses incurred for getting treatment, physical, mental, and emotional pain caused by the injury, lost wages, and more.
Here’s what you need to do in case you suffer from a personal injury caused by someone’s negligence.
- Inform the authorities about the incident especially if a car accident caused your personal injury. It is important that you inform the local or state police about the car accident so you can get a copy of police report. The police report is essential for supporting your personal injury claim later on.
- If a car accident has caused an injury, report the incident to your insurance company immediately. Your injury might not be covered by your insurance policy if you don’t report the incident to your insurance provider.
- Report the injury to a doctor because it could develop into something more serious. You still need to do this even if the injury is minor. Also, reporting your injury to a medical professional can help you, later on, should you decide to take your personal injury claim to court. The court will look for a medical report of your personal injury from your doctor, and this can support your claim.
- Gather as much evidence as you can about the accident and proof of your injury. You must take photos of the scene of the accident as well as photographs of the injury. These will serve as proof of your personal injury claim later on.
- If a workplace accident caused the injury, the incident should be well-recorded and documented in your employer’s accident book. You may also want to notify your employer directly about your injury by writing a brief account of the accident.
- You need to consult a personal injury attorney to help you out with your claim. Having a personal injury attorney on your side can help you get the settlement that you deserve. Consulting a personal injury attorney can also help you in deciding what sort of legal actions to take for your claim. If you decide to hire the services of a personal injury attorney, they will help and guide you throughout the litigation process, especially if you are taking your claim to court. They will handle your case and prepare every requirement you need to file a personal injury claim.
- File a personal injury claim or demand settlement. With the help of an attorney, you can file a personal injury claim easily so you can receive compensation for the damages incurred by the accident.
- File a personal injury lawsuit. If the claim is not settled out of court, then it’s time for you to file a personal injury lawsuit. Although a personal injury lawsuit is generally not the best idea, this will be your last chance of getting compensation for your injuries. You should ask help from your personal injury attorney when filing a lawsuit.
If you suffer from personal injuries that were caused by someone’s negligence, you have the right to seek financial compensation for the damages they’ve brought upon you. Recovering from the personal injuries caused by someone’s negligence can cost a lot of money, and the medical bills just to get the injury treated are not your burden. Neither are the wages you’ve lost because of being away from work.