Most people are fond of going outside during spring and autumn for outdoor activities. Most of them enjoy frolicking around parks, in their yards, and just about anywhere where people find it fun. However, some people are allergic to allergens which are heavily present outside. Since they are allergic to these substances in the air, most individuals prefer the comfort of their home.
First off, allergens are substances that can cause minor to severe allergic reactions in people. You can find allergens in food, water, in the air, and almost everywhere. Those allergens in the air, in particular, are dangerous since they are difficult to spot because of their minute and tiny particles flowing freely in the air.
Sadly, being home and spending quiet time with loved ones isn’t a sure fire way of getting away from allergens. Since allergens travel freely through the air, most of them can make it inside the house and cause serious health problems. However, people who have allergies don’t have to be afraid of these allergens. Here are a few tips on how to pollen-proof your home.
Shutting your windows down
Closing up your windows, believe it or not, is the simplest way that you can prevent pollen and other airborne allergens from wreaking havoc inside your house. As these particles go along with the air, a gust can easily carry and push allergens into your room through an open window. Keep your windows closed especially during seasons which there is an increasing amount of pollen in the air.
Don’t underestimate your AC
For some people, air conditioning only involves cooling the air down and resulting in a cold and relaxing environment. However, air conditioning goes beyond cooling the air in the room. Air conditioning can be instrumental when preventing spores and other minute allergens from entering your house. Several layers or filters within most types of air conditioning units trap these allergens, making it impossible for them to affect any people with allergies.
Be sure to clean or replace your air filters regularly though. Once it gets clogged or gets full of dust from previous filtration, a lot of incoming particles can come through.
Keeping the humidity down
A humid environment can foster the growth of mold within a household. When these fungi grow sufficiently, they produce spores which can become allergens for people inside. The spores from these molds are so tiny, even smaller than most pollen. Due to their size, mold spores easily pass through most filters. Molds are difficult to find because they grow in dark, hidden spaces which can prove difficult to find.
To prevent mold growth, try lowering down the humidity under 50%. Installing a dehumidifier can also prevent fungi from growing out of control.
Pooches, pussy cats, and other pets
Pets with fur or hair, like dogs or cats, can be a trigger for a lot of people. Animal hair and dander can travel through the air and into your noses and eventually through your lungs. These cases often affect people with asthma and other severe reactions.
If you have a pet, consider placing them outside. When putting your pets outside isn’t an option, proper hygiene should always become a priority for your pets. Always keep pets well-groomed as some other organisms such as fleas and ticks harbor to pets that have poor health and grooming.
HEPA filters are unique types of filters design to capture and trap incoming allergens fully. HEPA or High-Efficiency Particulate Air Filters work by forcing air through a finely made mesh that prevents the tiniest pollen, dander, and harmful insects. HEPA filters are so effective in keeping out allergens, and they even filter out tobacco smoke.
Allergens are everywhere. These minute particles often come from trees, plants, animals, etc. Those people in exposure-prone areas or places are often the victims of these allergens. Most individuals who have allergic reactions to pollen, dander, and other allergens in the air often experience mild to moderate symptoms such as watery eyes, excessive secretions in the nose or throat, and sometimes rashes develop.
Although the rate at which anaphylaxis happens to people with seasonal allergies is rare, it does happen and is quite dangerous. Anaphylaxis is a dangerous reaction wherein the body cannot tolerate the allergen and release dangerous amounts of histamine which constrict the airway, making it extremely difficult for a person to breathe.
It may sound scary, but with the right preparations such as shutting down windows, having a good air conditioning unit, the right type of filters, and being clean, a person can enjoy their stay inside their homes.