Yoga has many positive effects on our daily well-being. These effects include stress relief, weight management and rehabilitation treatment for a disease. But, can we improve our hearing with Yoga? Yes, Yoga has a similar effect on the prevention and treatment of hearing problems as well. Yoga helps improve hearing. Yoga provides a holistic approach to the treatment of ear problems.
How does Yoga improve hearing?
- Due to the sedentary lifestyle, our neck becomes less flexible. And the blood supply to neck gets limited. The blood vessels passing through our neck provide nourishment to the neck. Yoga asanas, stretches and exercises increase the supply of blood to the ears.
- Yoga prohibits the progression of hearing loss. Improved blood supply by regular asanas improves hearing.
- Yoga also helps in the production of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) which is a neurotransmitter. People with low GABA are more prone to deafness/hearing loss than people with adequate GABA. Yoga comes to the rescue as it increases the production of GABA. Improved GABA in return improves the hearing capability of the individual.
Before the asanas, it is important to discuss the precautions to avoid injuries.
Necessary precautions before or while practicing Yoga for improved hearing
1. Avoid practicing inversions at any cost
Do not practice inversions like Sirsasana and Chakrasana if one has an ear problem. People with difficulty in the hearing should also not practice inversions. They might affect the inner ear which will aggravate the condition.
2. Age no bar for Yoga
Although people of all age groups can practice yoga. It is better for aged people to consult a physician before practicing any yogasanas.
People with any acute infections or chronic diseases should consult physicians before practice. Heart diseases and Blood pressure irregularities are risk factors. People suffering from these diseases should not practice yogasanas for improved hearing.
Yogasanas/exercises for improved hearing
All 3, Asana, Pranayama and Mudra have healing effects on the ears to improve the hearing.
1. Bhramari Pranayama or Humming Bee Breath
Bhramari Pranayama or Humming bee breath produces a sound like a bee while breathing.
This sound vibrates and reverberates in the skull and produce an echo in the ears. This sound treats both conductive and sensorineural hearing loss.
Steps to practice Bhramari Pranayama or Humming Bee Breath
- Sit in any of the meditative asanas like Sukasana, Padmasana etc. Or, sit on a chair if you are uncomfortable in any asana position.
- Close your eyes and relax the entire body.
- Close your lips while keeping a little space between teeth. This allows more vibration in the skull and echo in the ear.
- Close the flaps of the ear with the index or middle finger.
- Inhale long and deep from the nose and exhale while producing a slow, even and deep sound.
- Practice 5 rounds of Bhramari Pranayama or Humming bee breath for improved hearing.
2. Shunya Mudra or Heaven Mudra
Shunya mudra improves hearing in normal people. It is also a treatment for restoring hearing loss.
Steps to practice Shunya Mudra or Heaven Mudra
- Sit in any of the meditative asanas. Sukasana, Padmasana etc. or sit on a chair if you cannot sit in any of these asanas.
- Place the palms on the knees and fold the middle finger.
- Place the pad of thumb over the tip of middle finger.
- Rest of the fingers should be straight.
- Practice 3 times a day for 10-15 minutes with both fingers for improved hearing.
3. Trikonasana or the Triangle Pose
There is a sudden rush of blood to the head and ear when the body bends on one side.
This rush of blood helps in improving the hearing.
Steps to practice Trikonasana or Triangle Pose
- Stand in mountain pose or Tadasana with 3-4 feet distance between both feet.
- Extend both arms parallel to the floor.
- Exhale deep, drop the right arm to the ground so that it touches the right toe.
- Raise your head to look on the left arm extended over the head.
- Do it twice on both sides, 8 breaths each side for improved hearing.
4. Ustrasana or the Camel Pose
It is very helpful in clearing blocks of Throat and heart chakra. The ears are also benefited with the clear throat chakra. The supply of blood to ears and head improves when the throat chakra is clear.
Steps to practice Ustrasana or The Camel Pose
- Kneel on your knees in such a way that both your knees are apart and the soles of your feet are facing up.
- Keep your hands on the pelvis and start bending backward.
- With a deep exhalation, take your hands to touch your feet.
- Stay in this position for 8-10 breaths.
- Practice 2-3 times for improved hearing.
Asanas, pranayamas and mudras are very effective in improving hearing. There are other exercises which are effective in improving hearing. They are Gyana Mudra, Kumbhak Pranayama, Shankha Naad, Greeva Chalan or Neck exercise.
All the above-mentioned Yoga exercises will prove effective only with regular practice.