Washing hands – this is something we all have been taught over and over again by our elders. The reason? Well, it keeps our hands clean, free of germs and prevents diseases. But do you know that there is a right and wrong way of washing hands? Yes, you read it right.
Unlike the common notion, wetting hands with water is not enough. There are various things one needs to keep in mind when it comes to proper handwashing. And no, they are not difficult, so you can easily follow them in your next hand wash.
In this article, we have talked about the various dos and don’ts of handwashing. However, before that, it is important to understand the proper handwashing steps. Read on!
5 Steps of Proper Handwashing
Properly wet your hands with clean water and apply soap or Dettol Hand wash. Doctors suggest that you should use a coin-sized drop if using a hand wash.
Rub your palms and lather thoroughly. Cover all the surfaces of hands – whether it is your fingers, back of the hand or the finger tips.
Continue rubbing your hands together for around 15-30 seconds. To keep a tab on time, you can sing “Happy Birthday” song twice.
Once you are done rubbing your hands, rinse them with water and remove any residual of the soap.
Last but not the least, dry your hands using a clean towel or paper tissue to get the best results. You can also use an electric dryer; however, it is preferable to use paper tissue.
Dos of Handwashing
It might seem a bit surprising, but handwashing is a technique enough to prevent major diseases like diarrhoea effectively. All you need to do is follow the right way. While we have already told you about the correct handwashing steps, it is time you know about the dos too. Take a look!
- Always use clean and warm water to wash your hands and also a mild soap.
- Before washing hand, clean the soap as it might contain some germs from your previous hand wash. To avoid such cases, you can also switch to Dettol Hand wash.
- While washing hands, keep your hands and forearms lower than elbow as the water can flow back and contaminate the area.
- Pat your hands with a towel rather than rubbing to avoid chapping.
Don’ts of Handwashing
Here are some of the things to avoid when washing hands:
- Many people think that washing hands with hot water is a great way to remove maximum germs. However, this is not true. In fact, hot water tends to chap the skin. Thus, try using warm water for hand wash.
- Don’t let water on your hands while lathering; it reduces the effect of handwashing.
- Avoid touching surfaces like the doorknob or the sink just after washing the hand.
- Don’t skip handwashing. In case soap and water are not available, try carrying Dettol hand sanitizer and use it as an alternative.
How to Use an Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer?
In the last point, we mentioned hand sanitizer. While many people know about this product – thanks to brands like Dettol promoting it; not all of them are aware of its usage.
Here is how one can properly use a Dettol Hand Sanitizer and say goodbye to germs.
- Apply hand sanitizer on the palm of your hand.
- Rub your hands together.
- Cover all surfaces, until your hands are dry.
When it comes to leading a healthy lifestyle, handwashing is one of the simplest habits you can adopt. While taking less time, it offers great rewards by preventing germs and diseases from hampering your health. So, start this habit today and begin a healthy life.