Pregnancy is good news for some couples. But for some, it may create a rift in their marriage. And as divorce is a painful chapter of life, unplanned pregnancy during divorce proceedings creates a lot of mental trauma.
There are two choices for the couples in this case – either terminate the pregnancy and go ahead with the relationship or file for divorce proceedings if there is no settlement.
However, most women are afraid of divorce – and if you’re one of them – you can save your marriage and handle the situation in the right way.
How will you do that? Continue reading to know some tips to save your marriage through an unplanned pregnancy.
1. Try to remain composed
After the news, it might be hard to remain calm. If you manage to do so, you can logically arrive at some conclusion.
- The situation might worsen when you panic – or you are angry. It is normal to feel unprepared or besieged by the news of unplanned pregnancy.
And, if you and your partner weren’t ready for the child, you might feel anxious. It is vital to remain watchful of your emotions and stay composed in the situation.
- Besides, you can approach your spouse to have a difficult conversation. If you are successful in conversing, you might find a way out. The calmer you are – the better it is for conversation.
2. Stay honest
Pregnancy is not a small deal – and it is a big decision that may change the equation you and your partner share.
- Don’t sugarcoat about your feelings or don’t escape from them. As it’s a real issue- try dealing with your honest feelings. Talk to your partner honestly without any pretension.
If you are clear about your thoughts and feelings – it will make a difference in how you approach the situation.
- Explain to your partner why you are worried and how this may impact the future. Though the conversation may be tough – it’s the way you handle the situation that matters the most.
3. Be empathetic
When you practice empathy, you can analyze the situation better. Most couples are aware of family planning and child issues. So, when you break the news, you will have a clue how your partner would react.
- You know how he will react or how this would affect him. So, it is vital to use your empathy to approach your partner and talk about the issue.
- Let him know that it is going to be difficult – but you understand and support the news. Besides, you can try to imagine – how a person would react when you approach. Empathetic behavior would make it easier for you.
4. Keep an open ear
Communication is the key to a good marriage. It is essential to understand your partner and listen to his feelings.
- Couples who cannot communicate may feel frustrated or cynical.
Most couples can communicate well – but not all couples can. Also, while discussing the issue of unplanned pregnancy, you will need to keep an open mind.
- While your partner needs to hear what you have to say, ensure that you do the same. The two of you might not be on the same page – so you must be open to listening. Explain your feelings and – when it is his turn, stay quiet and listen to him.
5. Find a conclusion
The decision to continue with an unplanned pregnancy is tough. But it is up to you and your partner to make this decision. But this does not imply that you have to compromise on – how you feel or what you want to do. At the end of the day, you and your partner must come to a logical decision.
- If you plan to keep the baby – raise the baby together with love. And f you aren’t mentally prepared – you can terminate the pregnancy.
- Always focus on positivity – and create a list of things that matter. When you are clear of your thoughts regarding unplanned pregnancy – things will become easier.
Factors to consider in case of Unplanned pregnancy and divorce:
- Financial stability
If you’re going ahead with the pregnancy – you will need to make sure that the baby is born with all the requirements. Both the parents must be sure that they will be able to provide for the baby’s needs. With the financial instability – it’s vital to discuss the issue with your partner before going ahead with the pregnancy.
It’s an extension of the first point – where you need to be assured that you will provide – food, money, love, and support to the child. Moreover, an amiable environment ensures that your child has a healthy childhood. As parents, ensure that your child has emotional support – as that is important for mental development.
The way you plan,
Sadly many marriages end up in divorce because of unplanned pregnancy. The issue has an 80 -90% divorce rate within six years of getting married. An unplanned pregnancy can have a strain on marriage – so be willing to talk to your partner and come to a conclusion together.