Even though the results are often obvious, chiropractic medicine is sometimes still frowned upon by medical experts. However, common people without a medical degree often find chiropractors genuine experts, who have helped them with the pain that ailed them for a long while. This being said, although chiropractors can be considered miracle workers, one should always be careful about which issues these experts can solve and which go beyond their expertise.
Reasons to Visit a Chiropractor
Among these, you will find the issues that chiropractors can, indeed, help you with. There are some that are well-known, as well as a few that might surprise you:
- Lower-back pain – Let’s set off with the obvious one – lower-back pain is often regarded by most medical experts as “not something that can really be fixed”. However, by manipulating the sacroiliac joint, which links the lowest part of the spine to the pelvis, chiropractors can help you relieve back pain. Additionally, the Active Release Technique (ART) helps relieve lower-back pain by removing scar tissue from muscles.
- Neck pain – Another commonly known chiropractors’ area of expertise – neck pain – can be relieved with spinal manipulation. Furthermore, one of the fields of expertise, when it comes to chiropractors is movement assessment, which allows them to figure out whether the origin of one’s neck issues is the neck itself, or perhaps their shoulders.
- Digestive problems – Moving on to more trivial issues that chiropractic services can provide help with – digestive troubles – can be alleviated by paying a visit to the chiropractor. To elaborate, the nerves in the chest and abdominal region of the spine are linked with digestion and abdominal pain, if the disks are herniated. If chest and abdominal (thoracic) vertebrae aren’t aligned, the nerves can start sending irregular impulses to one’s intestines, leading to issues such as bloating, gas and heartburn.
- Pregnancy pain – There are a lot of pregnancy cases which result in improper pelvic alignment – which is one of the main culprits to blame, when it comes to sciatica and lower-back pain in general. This is where the chiropractic medicine greatly outranks regular medicine – medications that alleviate pain can have negative impact on the fetus and surgery performed on pregnant woman is definitely something that even neonatologists advice against.
The technique that chiropractors use involves manipulating the sacrum and the sacroiliac joint, which can help balance the pelvis.
- Blood pressure – A common plague of the modern society, a high blood pressure can, indeed, be relieved with medication. Most prescribed drugs, however, come with side-effects, which are anything but beneficial for the subject. Now while some (maybe even the majority) of blood pressure-related issues aren’t a result of misaligned vertebrae, such cases truly do exist. In any case, a licensed chiropractor could possibly do you a world of good by helping you lower your blood pressure. However, you should – under no circumstances – drift away from your doctor’s appointments. With regards to this issue – don’t flush your medications away just yet.
— Zigverve.com (@zigverve) August 8, 2016
Things Best Left to Your MD
It is important to truly realize that chiropractors aren’t miracle workers. While the benefits of opting for chiropractic medicine can be huge, some things are best left to your MD. These range from infections, chronic diseases, acute emergencies to surgeries. It is especially worth noting that fractures and broken bones are not reasons to visit your chiropractor, even though these experts might seem perfect for this kind of issues. Remember, chiropractors specialize in aligning your spinal disks, not treating every bone-related injury.
In conclusion, chiropractors aren’t some witchdoctors performing questionable medicine – they possess degrees and deep knowledge, with relation to human spine and posture. It is worth nothing, however, that consulting your MD before paying a visit to the chiropractor is essential.