In day to day life inflammatory diseases are increasing at higher speed. Among them ulcerative colitis is a disease that comes under category of Irritable bowel diseases. This disease is becoming very common and usually found in between 15 and 35 years of age. In ulcerative colitis ulcers are formed on the lining of colon that cause inflammation of large intestine, rectum or both.
Tiny sores called ulcers start taking growth in rectum and spreads upward that may involve the entire colon. These ulcer causes bleeding, discharge of pus and mucus.
Ayurvedic point of view shows involvement of pitta and vata doshas in Ulcerative colitis patients. Consumption of pattik ahara and pitta, damage both rakta and mamsa dhatu in body. Vata dosha affects the lower colon that blocks pitta and kapha channels causing inflammation in affected area. Pitta dosha causes burning sensation, pus formation, itching, bleeding and inflammation in the intestines and rectum.
What are the signs and symptoms of ulcerative colitis?
Depending upon the severity of inflammation signs and symptoms may include:
- Abdominal pain
- Rectal pain
- Diarrhea with pus or blood
- Weight loss
- Urgency to defecate
- Urge to empty bowel constantly
What are the types of ulcerative colitis?
Various types of ulcerative colitis are mentioned below with its location:
- In this case inflammation is near anus. It is considered as mildest form of ulcerative colitis. Rectal bleeding may be sign of this type.
- This type of colitis involves rectum and sigmoid colon. It includes signs and symptoms like abdominal cramps, pain, diarrhea and bleeding.
Left sided colitis:
- In this type of colitis inflammation starts from rectum upto sigmoid and descending colon. Symptoms and signs involve bloody diarrhea, pain on left side, abdominal cramps and weight loss.
- This often involves entire colon and shows sign symptoms like severe diarrhea, pain, abdominal cramps, weight loss and fatigue.
Acute severe ulcerative colitis:
- It affects entire colon that causes severe pain, bleeding, diarrhea and mucous.
What are the causes of Ulcerative colitis?
- Exact cause of Ulcerative colitis is unknown. Weak immune system attack digestive tract that causes ulcers in intestines. Sometimes heredity also plays a role in Ulcerative colitis patients.
Herbal remedies for ulcerative colitis:
Herbs are best way to cure certain disease basically ulcerative colitis. Here we will discuss few herbal remedies that will help to cure ulcerative colitis surely. These herbs do not only work on affected area but it will help to manage signs and symptoms associated with it. Herbal remedies for Ulcerative colitis are mentioned below in details:
- Vatsakadi Churna
- Pitta Balance
- Arjuna Capsule
- Kutazghan Vati
- Planet Ayurveda offers a wonderful herbal churna named as “Vatsakadi”. This herbal formulation provides effective results in diarrhea, excessive bleeding, flatulence, indigestion, gastric problem related to Ulcerative colitis patient. Combination of herbs such as Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), Bilva (Aegle marmelos), Dhania (Coriander sativam), Anar (Punica granatum), Jaiphal (Myristica fragrans) and Choti Elaichi (Elletaria cardamomum) are used.
Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare):
- This herb has carminative properties that is useful for digestive system. It is very effective remedy for indigestion, bloating and digestion related problems.
Bilv (Aegle marmelos):
- It is considered as one of the best herb that relieves diarrhea, improves digestion, reduce inflammation and pain.
Dhania (Coriander sativam):
- The herb shows digestive, astringent, anti-dyspeptic and appetizer properties. Dhania provides effective result in Ulcerative colitis case.
Anar (Punica granatum):
- It helps to reduce inflammation in ulcerative colitis patients. Reduces inflammation and pain.
Jaiphal (Myristica fragrans):
- This herb helps to manage the complications related to Ulcerative colitis.
Choti Elaichi (Elletaria cardamomum):
- This is the most common herb that shows effective result in digestive problem, ulcerative colitis and heals ulcers in the intestines.
Recommended dosage: One teaspoon twice daily with plain water after meals.
- These herbal capsules balance pitta in the body which is main cause for ulcerative colitis. These help to maintain a healthy digestive system. The capsules heal ulcers, acidity, heartburn, gas, flatulence and indigestion problem. Ingredients used for preparation of capsules are Praval pishti (Coral Calcium), Akik pishti (Agate calcium), Jawar mohra pishti (An Ayurvedic Calcium compound), Kamdudha Ras (An Ayurvedic Calcium compound), Mukta Pishti (Pearl Calcium) and Giloy satv (Tinospora cordifolia extract).
Parval Pishti (Coral Calcium):
- It is an Ayurvedic compound that enhances digestive system, enhances immunity and balances vata and pitta doshas in body.
Akik Pishti (Agate calcium):
- This Ayurvedic formulation balances vata and pitta dosha in body.
Kamdudha Ras (An Ayurvedic calcium compound):
- It helps to maintain healthy digestive system and helps to relieve heartburn.
Jawar Mohra Pishti (An Ayurvedic calcium compound):
- This natural calcium compound relives heartburn and shows cooling effect on body. Pitta dosha is maintained with this compound.
Mukta Pishti (Pearl Calcium):
- Extract of pearls are used that balance pitta dosha in body. It helps to relieve gastric problem, excessive burning sensation and heals ulcer in body.
Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia extract):
- This is one of effective herb that balances vata, pitta and kapha doshas. Giloy is considered as wonderful herb that builds up a strong immune system in body.
Recommended dosage: One capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
- Pure extract of Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) is used for preparation of capsules. These capsules reduce swelling, inflammation and pain in ulcerative colitis conditions. Heavy bleeding is also maintained by these capsules.
Recommended dosage: Two capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
- This maintains healthy metabolism and digestive functions in body. Pitta and Kapha doshas are balanced with use of these tablets. This herb has carminative, astringent, tonic, stomachic, bitter and febrifuge properties. It helps to maintain a healthy intestines of an individual. Kutazghan vati works wonderfully in diarrhea, bleeding problem, mucous and digestive problem associated with Ulcerative colitis.
Recommended dosage: Two tablets twice daily with plain water after meals.