Urinary tract infections are one of the most common health problems which people are facing today. When urinary bladder and its exits are infected by bacteria, urinary tract infection occurs. Any part of the urinary tract get affected in urinary tract infections.
When upper part of tract get affected, it is called as kidney infection and when the lower part of the urinary tract get affected, it is called as bladder infection.
What is the prevalence of urinary tract infections?
- About 50% of females are affected with urinary tract infections at least once in the life time compared to men.
- This infection is 10 times more prevalent in females rather than females.
What are the causes of urinary tract infections?
Urinary tract infections most commonly occur due to E. Coli bacteria or rarely from any other fungi and bacteria
- Urinary tract infections can also occur due to sexual intercourse, pregnancy, waiting too long for urinating, menopause, pregnancy, diabetes etc.
- Sex is the cause of urinary tract infections in 80-90% cases.
- Another cause for urinary tract infection is urinary catheterization.
What are the symptoms of urinary tract infections?
- The symptoms lasts for at least 6 days in females and vary from mild to severe.
- Symptoms in lower urinary tract infections are pain, burning sensation with urination, urge to urinate frequently and absence of vaginal discharge, pain in lower back and pain above the pubic bone.
- Symptoms in upper urinary tract infections are fever, vomiting, nausea, flank pain along with the symptoms of lower urinary tract infections. Blood in urine or pus can also be seen in severe cases (very rare).
How urinary tract infections occurs?
The bacteria that leads to urinary tract infections gains entry into the bladder through the urethra. However, infections of urinary tract may also occur via the lymph or blood. According to some studies, it is believed that the infection causing bacteria are usually transmitted to the urethra from the bowel and the females are at greater risk because of the anatomy of urinary tract. After gaining entry to the urinary bladder. As E.coli are able to get attached to the wall of the bladder and Leads to formation of bio film which further resists the immune response of the body.
How to diagnose urinary tract infections?
If not severe, these infections can easily be diagnosed on the basis of the symptoms and lab tests. But in severe and complicated cases, urinalysis, urine microscopy and antibody sensitivity can be followed.
How to prevent the urinary tract infections?
- Urinary catheters should be used only for as short duration as possible and proper care of the catheter should be done to prevent infection. A proper sterile technique should be used to place the catheter. The catheter should be sealed so as to prevent urinary tract infections.
- Personal hygiene should be maintained to prevent the occurrence of urinary tract infections.
How to prevent urinary tract infections by home remedies?
Here are 7 top remedies which should be followed to prevent the occurrence of urinary tract infections and if occurred, helps in the treatment of such infections.
- Cranberry is a member of families of berries. Especially in juice form, it is helpful in the treatment of the infections of urinary tract.
- As it is known that E.coli cross the urethral wall which is the main cause of urinary tract infections. The cranberry juice contains proanthocyanidines which prevent the E.coli bacteria entering into urethral wall. It helps in fighting and getting rid of infections as it contains antibodies.
How to use
- Drink Atleast half glass of this juice to prevent the urinary tract infections. If the taste of this juice is pungent, then you can mix apple juice in it.
- If you are already suffering from this infection, drink 4 glasses of cranberry juice to prevent the damage to kidneys. Do not add any kind of artificial sweetener to this juice.
- Have 4 glasses of cranberry juice daily until the infection clears.
Apple cider vinegar
This helps in the treatment of urinary tract infections. It is rich in essentials nutrients and enzymes which helps to prevent the urinary tract infection to thrive. It kills the harmful bacteria and promotes the growth of good bacteria.
How to use
Add 2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, honey into the water. Have this drink twice daily till the clearance of the infection.
Baking soda have the properties of fighting the infections of urinary tract. It helps in neutralizing the acidic nature of the urine due to its alkaline nature. You will suffer less pain and burning sensation during urination, only if your urine is less acidic.
How to use
Add the baking soda into a glass of water and Regular intake of this drink will helps in relieving from urinary tract infections.
Its antimicrobial properties helps in the treatment of urinary tract infections. It kills all the fungi and bacteria in the vagina which are causing the urinary tract infections.
How to use
Place a garlic clove into the medicated gauge and then place it into the vagina, keep the gauge piece longer so as to easily remove after 2-3 hours. Wash the area after the removal of the gauge and garlic and dry the area. Follow this process thrice daily so as to completely eradicate the disease.
As it is rich in probiotics and helps in increasing the concentration of good bacteria in your body and eradicating the bad bacteria.
How to use
Include Atleast a bowl of fresh yogurt in your diet to prevent the occurrence of urinary tract infections.
This contains compound known as proanthocyanidines which helps in preventing the bacteria to stick to the urethral wall and in this way helps in preventing the occurrence of urinary tract infections.
How to use
Pure extract of goldenseal can be used till the infection fades away.
Tea tree oil
According to some studies, it is believed that this oil helps in killing the bacteria especially E.coli.
How to use
Pour 10 drops of oil in warm water and soak your body in this water for few minutes.