How often do we tell ourselves we don’t need to go all out with our look before going somewhere, because we’re not “doing anything special”? Well, I’m here to tell you it doesn’t matter if you’re running to the store, grabbing a drink with a friend, or simply going to work for the day — you deserve to look fabulous.
If makeup is something you enjoy (I know I do), then make the most of it! And honestly, it’s easier than ever to get yourself camera-ready anytime, for any event, anywhere. I’ve got some great tips for getting making the most out of your makeup that will have you looking red-carpet worthy, no matter the occasion!
But first, foundation
Before applying foundation, don’t forget to prep the area for perfection! This means following a skincare regimen by using a good foaming cleanser, a gentle toner, a light moisturizer, and a facial primer — in that order.
Don’t forget to let the moisturizer dry before applying primer, and don’t forget to let the primer dry before applying foundation! This gives everything a chance to absorb into the skin.
Once you’ve figured out your skin tone and the proper shade of your foundation, the application can begin.
In my opinion, there are three basic methods of choice when it comes to applying liquid foundation: fingers, brushes, and sponges. It’s up to you which application process you prefer!
- You’ll want to start by squeezing a small amount of makeup on the back of your hand — it makes less of a mess and it’s easily accessible that way.
- Next, apply your favorite foundation to the center of your face on your forehead, nose, and chin (these are the areas that typically need the most coverage), and blend outward toward the edges of your face — this helps prevent creating a noticeable makeup line.
- Use gentle tapping/dabbing motions. Rubbing can exacerbate existing blemishes and imperfections and waste product.
- Follow-up your foundation with concealer to cover any remaining blemishes or dark circles. Your concealer should match your skin tone, and use sparingly. You don’t want to look cakey!
For powder foundation, apply with a big, fluffy brush or a compact sponge and build coverage as necessary. Blend from the center of your face outward.
All about the eyes (and brows!)
After you’re finished with your concealer, apply your eyeshadow. Start with a lid primer or sweep on a loose translucent powder. This step will help your shadow stay in place as well as amp up the pigment.
- With an eyeshadow brush or eyeshadow applicator, sweep a neutral, light color from your brow all the way to your lashes.
- Use a medium tone from your lash line to the crease of your eyelid. Next, take a darker shade and brush it into the crease of your lid with a small brush.
- Blend like crazy! Remember, you want to build your eyeshadow, so start with a small amount of products and add as needed.
As for eyebrows, I prefer a fuller brow look, but a natural one. The best way to achieve this is by keeping them shaped and groomed, and then using a powder or matte brow kit to fill in the shape for the desired look you want!
Make it last
If you’re going to give yourself a camera-ready look, you don’t want it to fade away as the day drags on. You want your glam look to last, right? Well, these two things will be your best friend: primer and setting spray.
They’re super easy to use and help with an easy and quick camera-ready look. Primers go on before makeup and help, well, prime your face for ultimate staying power. They also go on silky smooth and light, and reduce the size of your pores.
Setting sprays and translucent powders are the finishing product: spray or sweep the setting powder lightly across your face to make sure your makeup stays put and beautiful all day long.
Keeping your skin clean and clear
Going glam every day – no matter what you’re doing or where you’re going – is easily achievable! Just remember that putting it all on requires the same effort in taking it all off at the end of the day.
Avoid breakouts or clogged pores by taking the time to thoroughly cleanse and moisturize your skin at the end of the day — this will keep your skin clear, clean, and healthy.
With these steps, you’ll have the perfect canvas to apply your favorite products, and your beauty will shine through your photos! You’ll be paparazzi-ready anytime.