Let’s start by providing a little trivia, Did you know why the Mediterranean diet is considered the most beneficial for your health? Yes, sure it contains whole grains and vegetables, but it also has a vital ingredient in it that’s instrumental in averting many health risks, and that’s Olive oil. And not just your health, your skin benefits from this magic ingredient immensely.
Let’s dive in to look at multiple beauty benefits of olive oil
1. Moisturizes dry skin
It doesn’t come as a surprise that olive oil is great for moisturizing dry skin since it contains skin hydrating properties. So, if you are looking to keep your face, hands or feet hydrated, you can apply olive oil before going to bed and keep it overnight.
- As you age, the regeneration of your skin cells slows down considerably, and that can lead to the dry or rough skin. So you can use a good exfoliant to wipe off these dead skin cells before moisturizing.
- Massage olive oil on your face, hands, and feet.
- Cover with cotton gloves and socks
2. Reduces the appearance of wrinkles
Laugh lines, a furrowed brow, crow’s feet, fine lines on the forehead, all these are the single most evident signs of the ageing process. These wrinkles form due to the free radicals and also due to exposure to the sun.
So, to keep fine lines and wrinkles at bay, get an abundance of free radical-fighting antioxidants in your daily diet in the form of Olive oil.
3. Effectively removes makeup
Dabbing a bit of olive oil on your face may not be the first thing that you may consider when it comes to removing your makeup, but if you try it, you can be certain that the results will not be disappointing.
Now, you may already be aware that many cosmetic products are often infused with oils or oily ingredients, that’s why simply washing your face with water alone will not be able to wipe off the traces of makeup. That’s why you need something more effective, and Olive oil does the job perfectly. The oily texture nullifies the oiliness of the makeup products, wiping them off and away from the face efficiently.
Simply take a little amount of Olive oil on a cotton swab and dab it over your face before using a cleanser.
4. Soothes skin irritation
Some people are more susceptible to itchiness and redness than others, and if you are at the receiving end, then olive oil can help thwart the problem easily. Olive oil contains the goodness of Vitamin E, which is ideal to soothe the itchy scalp and irritated skin.
5. Makes the cuticles soft
This is a great remedy often followed to keep dry, brittle nails soft. Rub Olive oil along with your nail beds for extra softness and moisture.
6. To keep your legs smooth while shaving
So picture this, you have a party coming up, and you need to shave your legs, but you forgot to get a shaving cream. But before you press the panic button in a hurry, hear us out. All you are required to do is slather a little bit of Olive oil on to your legs before you bring in your razor. This will give you a precise, perfect and protected shave.
What’s more, this will leave your legs looking soft and well-moisturized.
7. Safeguards against sun damage
Studies have indicated that omega-3 fatty acids are excellent to safeguard the skin from the harmful UV rays of the sun, and no prizes for guessing that Olive oil is packed with this nutrient.
But while you bask in the goodness of Olive oil, don’t completely bypass other measures to protect yourself from the sun. Wear a hat or a scarf, and carry an umbrella and apply tons of sunscreen.
8. Prevents puffy eyes or eye bags
The loss of sleep or sleep deprivation happens to the best of us who are used to living a fast-paced life. At times, you may have been so busy making an important presentation that you barely got a few hours of sleep, under such scenarios, it’s common to have puffiness or bags under your eyes.
Now to alleviate such things you may try out expensive under eye gels and creams, but Olive oil is a lot cheaper and simpler alternative. Just take a coin-sized amount and apply it to the skin under your eyes every night before hitting the bed and it will work like a charm.
9. Eliminates acne and blemishes
Acne and breakouts are a universal problem that has pestered almost every one of us. And what’s even more annoying is that they can still be persistent even after you’re past puberty, and can get only worse with time. If that sounds a lot like the story of your life, then start incorporating Olive oil into your diet. Scientific studies have revealed that including Olive oil, that’s rich in omega-3 fatty acids, in your diet can help reduce the appearance of breakouts, blemishes and acne.
10. Promotes skin elasticity
Olive oil, when applied gently on to your face, helps to improve your skin’s elasticity. And you not only have to use it directly over your skin, but you can also add it to your food as well, and your entire body will reap the rewards from the nutritional values provided by olive oil.
Now let’s discuss the best ways you can use the Olive oil for that gorgeous, glowing skin.
1. Hot water and Olive oil:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin oil
- Hot water
- Face cloth
- Using your fingertips, gently massage the oil on your face in the circular motion. Run your fingers firmly over your cheeks, nose, and forehead.
- Now, dip the face towel into a bowl of lukewarm water. Press and hold the towel over your face until it cools down to the temperature.
- Now keep the towel away from your face and rinse it using hot water. This time, rather than pressing the towel, try to gently rub it all over your face to remove the layers of Olive oil.
- Pat your face dry using a paper towel.
Applying this face pack every morning and night for a week will leave your skin fresh and glowing. For oily skin people, applying this mixture will contain the excess oil production, and your pores will no longer be clogged.
2. Olive Oil and Honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Take honey, olive oil, and egg yolk in a bowl. Blend them well.
- Apply the mixture to your face and leave it on 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes are over, wash it off with warm water.
Applying this face pack twice a week will make you’re your skin glow, improve its elasticity, and will keep it hydrated.
3. Turmeric and Olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned together, and apply it to your face.
- Let it dry for 10-15 minutes.
- When the face pack is dry, rinse it off with water. Then you can also apply a gentle facial cleanser to wipe away the turmeric stain from the skin.
So if you are perpetually concerned over your skin problems then having olive oil in your kitchen will solve a lot of problems.