Suppressants are drinks, pills, whole foods or supplements that will keep you from overeating. You can see tons of commercial suppressants in the market. However, natural suppressants are better when you want to keep yourself from overeating; this type of suppressants work by regulating your hormones to help you curb cravings for junk foods.
You can cope with increased appetite without drugs. Natural appetite suppressants can help you achieve this. These types of suppressants not only gently eliminate hunger, but also cleanse the body, increase its resistance to infections, and relieve some of the existing ailments. When choosing natural suppressants to reduce appetite, each person should rely on the advice of a doctor and the state of their health.
Top 5 natural appetite suppressants
1. Green tea extract
Green tea is one of the most popular beverages on earth. This beverage is wildly-known and has been consumed for thousands of years. Scientists have been studying green tea extract because of its abilities for preventing cognitive disorders such as dementia.
In recent years, green tea extract has become popular in weight loss industry due to its ability to suppress hunger naturally.
2. Grapefruit essential oil
In recent years, there have been a lot of studies on grapefruit extract because it contains antioxidants, enzymes, and volatile oils that can help you suppress hunger, reduce cravings, and give you an uplifting energy.
Studies showed that even smelling grapefruit can help stimulate ghrelin-induced feeding which will make you feel fuller and reduce your cravings for junk foods.
3. Saffron extract
A recent research has shown that taking saffron extracts can lead to positive effects on mood regulation. It does this by increasing endorphin and serotonin levels. With an increased serotonin action in the body, you will be able to suppress appetite and avoid eating junk foods.
4. Spicy foods
Eating naturally spicy foods such as curry, black pepper, cayenne, dandelion, turmeric, ginger, or cinnamon can help you increase your body’s ability to suppress hunger levels, burn fat faster, reduce free radical damage, and normalize glucose levels.
5. Foods high in fiber
You can be able to suppress hunger when you eat foods that are high in fiber. These dietary fibers have been used for thousands of years to not only improve gut health but also to promote fullness and digestive functions. Moreover, eating dietary fiber will help you to maintain strong immunity as well as improve your heart health.
Unfortunately, today in the United States, the average intake of fiber in adults is less than half of the recommended levels. Foods that are high in fiber such as the Mediterranean diet will help you to feel fuller and keep your mind away from cravings.
Other natural ways you can keep your appetite under control (reduce hunger)
Apart from the methods mentioned above, there are tons of other ways you can suppress hunger and significantly reduce the urge to overeat. Some of these natural ways include:
- Eat more of foods that contain protein and healthy fats. These types of foods work like fiber. They will make you feel fuller and keep you from eating anytime soon.
- Add more Omega-3 fatty acids and probiotics into your foods. Both foods are known to have the ability to control mood, have anti-aging effects, reduce inflammation, and can help you to improve gut/digestive health.
- You can naturally suppress hunger when you avoid stress. Research has shown that stress makes you overeat. Learn to manage your time and work. It is also very important that you eat mindfully especially when you are feeling stressed.
- Drink more water. An adult needs at least 6-8 glasses of water every day. Unfortunately, most of us don’t get up to this amount. When you drink water, it will help you block empty spaces in your stomach thereby preventing you from eating more food than you require.
- When you go to the gym or step out in the morning for an exercise, make sure that you don’t over-train yourself. Overtraining can make you feel hungry and extremely tired. Plan your training before you step out of the house.
- Always get enough sleep. Getting good night sleep will ensure that you don’t feel stressed thereby forcing you to eat more than you need. As an adult, you need at least 6 of good sleep every night.
Final thoughts on natural appetite suppressants
- Popular weight loss pills — like garcinia cambogia, guarana or ephedrine — are often used to suppress one’s appetite But it’s fairly common to experience some side effects such as anxiety, trouble sleeping, including jitteriness, indigestion, rapid heartbeat diarrhea or headaches when taking these products. Hence, we will recommend you stick to natural suppressants.
- Natural appetite suppressants include high-fiber foods, green tea extract, saffron extract spices like cayenne and grapefruit essential oil.
- These natural appetite suppressants, foods, herbs, and compounds can help cravings by inducing thermogenesis, balancing blood sugar levels, warming the body, absorbing water in your digestive tract, improving your mood or energy, reducing inflammation, balancing hunger/fullness hormones like leptin and ghrelin and altering the release of certain digestive enzymes.
You can buy your natural suppressants from a local drug store or order them online. However, we recommend that you look supplements that are made only with natural ingredients. Avoid suppressants that contain too many artificial ingredients when ordering for your suppressants.